Celiac disease is an immune response to the consumption of gluten, a type of protein present in wheat, barley, and rye, which causes irritation in the intestine for a few children. Generally, gluten does not create any problem, but sometimes children might develop an allergy or if a child has Celiac Disease might become gluten intolerant.
In children with celiac disease, the immune reaction to gluten leads to inflammation that damages the small intestine’s lining. Such condition also prevents absorption of some nutrients causing diarrhea and weight loss.
Symptoms of Celiac Disease in Children
In addition to diarrhea and weight loss, a child may also show these signs and symptoms of celiac disease:
- Anemia due to iron deficiency
- Soft bones or osteomalacia
- Loss of bone density or osteoporosis
- Joint pain
- Acid reflux
- Damaged dental enamel
- “Pins and needles” sensation in limbs
- Abdominal pain
- Foul-smelling, pale stool
Who are at risk of Celiac Disease?
Any child can develop this autoimmune condition. However, there are some factors which can increase the risk of celiac disease:
- Having a biological relative with celiac disease – Celiac disease is hereditary. Children who have a blood relative with celiac disease are at higher risk of developing the condition.
- Suffering from an auto-immune disease – a child suffering from an auto-immune disease like Hypothyroidism or Type 1 diabetes is likely to develop other auto-immune conditions like celiac disease.
- Having HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 Genes – Children having HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 Genes are at risk of developing celiac disease.
Treatment of Celiac disease
The only treatment for celiac disease is having a strict gluten-free diet prescribed by a pediatrician that can help manage symptoms and promote intestinal healing.
Centre for Child Care at Sarvodaya Hospital is a one-stop destination for all types of healthcare services for a child, including surgical, medical, and immunization services. Our team of experienced Pediatricians and Pediatric surgeons are highly skilled in Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Endocrinology, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Pulmonology, Pediatric Nephrology, and Pediatric Oncology. The physicians are accompanied by expert dieticians who deliver personalized diet plans for children of all age groups. We are focused on delivering tender care to the children and treat them with great compassion.