When you experience severe joint pain, your first inclination is to consult with a doctor for a diagnosis. While looking into the symptoms and the condition of your joint the doctor might suggest you undergo joint replacement surgery. But how do you know if your case is serious enough to warrant such a major procedure? To ensure you receive the best treatment, orthopedic surgeons from the best joint replacement hospital have explained what joint replacement surgery entails and whether there are any alternatives.
What is joint replacement?
Joint replacement is a major surgery in which a damaged joint is replaced with an artificial joint. It is typically performed when other treatments, such as medication, physical therapy, and weight loss, have failed to relieve pain and improve function. The most common joint replacement surgeries performed are hip replacement and knee replacement surgeries.
Is joint replacement a major surgery?
Most people think of joint replacement as major surgery, but it actually depends on the type of surgery you are undergoing. Today, for knee replacement surgery there are two ways possible:
- Traditional Knee Replacement Surgery
- Robotic Knee Replacement Surgery
The procedure of both surgeries varies distinctively. Traditional surgery is invasive whereas robotic surgery is minimally invasive. The recovery period vary depending on patients health as well as the severity of the damage, but most people are able to return to their regular activities within a few weeks.
The benefits of joint replacement
Joint replacement can have many benefits. It can relieve pain, improve mobility, and restore quality of life. It can also help people stay active and independent. Apart from these other benefits includes:
- It puts an end to the misery. The main goal of joint replacement surgery is to alleviate chronic and agonizing pain.
- Joint replacement helps many patients to rejoin sports and hobbies, such as dancing, running, cricket, riding, hiking, swimming, and many more, which they formerly enjoyed before pain prevented them from doing so. As a result, it improves the quality of life.
- Reduces the risk of chronic health problems. In some studies, it has been noticed that joint pain especially, hip pain has been linked to risks of death, heart failure, depression, and other health problems. Joint replacement surgery can help in lowering these risks.
It is now both safer and more successful than it was years ago. While there are still hazards connected with this operation, the medical developments have typically resulted in greater postoperative function than in the past.
While joint replacement is major surgery, it is also a very successful one. Over 90% of patients who have hip or knee replacement surgery report marked improvement in their pain and mobility within 6 months of the procedure. If you are considering joint replacement, be sure to discuss your expectations and concerns with your surgeon to ensure that you are making the best decision for your individual situation. One hospital that offers the best joint replacement surgery in Delhi/NCR is Sarvodaya Hospital. It is the best joint surgery hospital with the latest treatments and cutting-edge technology like North India's First Fully Active Robot for joint replacement. Don't put your joint at the lifetime risk, get the best treatment possible.